The undergraduate program in journalism aims to prepare a practician journalist with theoretical knowledge and professional skills in line with modern media standards, who will develop a journalistic vision and professional thinking.
• To make the student aware of the role of the media in modern society, issues of journalistic ethics and responsibility, to give knowledge about professional standards, journalism functions and principles.
• By synthesizing the academic-lecture and practical course, to make student master the principles of communication, individual and teamwork in the media space; To master professional skills in such a way as to create a solid foundation for employment and development in the professional field and a desire to continue to the next level of teaching.
• Preparing of competitive, qualified practician journalists for the modern media market, who will have knowledge of civic values and relevant practical skills for work in the modern media industry, and who will be based on professional standards while working.
• Defines the specifics of a journalist's professional activity, establishes basic concepts and terminology of journalism, principles of journalism, functions, realizes civic values and relies on professional standards.
• Understands the principles of freedom of speech and expression, evaluates professional activities and implements them in accordance with ethical and professional standards.
• Understands the way of development of Georgian publicist thinking, uses modern and historical media research methods for effective analysis.
• Obtains, sorts and objectively generalizes information, realizes the importance of accuracy protection and verification of information; Focuses on informational excuses, presenting current problems as journalistic facts.
• Covers information with different platforms - creates a multimedia product.
• Possesses a culture of professional writing and oral communication necessary for a practicing journalist; Determines the relevance of information, distinguishes between fact and comment.
• Creates a media text in accordance with professional tasks - linking fact, argument, problem; Establishes process matching analysis and reasoned conclusions, establishes practical ways to address current issues.
• Has the ability to have an ethical relationship with the respondent, to work with the source. Has Practical skills required for a TV-radio journalist: can speak (write) stylistically, works with TV cameras, communicates with the viewer on the air and creates a TV-radio product with editing programs.
• Possesses the skills of debate, reasoning, free communication, presentation of material, can adaptation to any situation, has improvisation, logical and analytical thinking skills.
• Understands the artistic aspects of photojournalism and the perspectives of media text visualization. Through photography, creates a journalistic product, has the ability to visualize journalistic material of different content using modern technologies.
A person with a full general education who has a relevant state-issued document (high school certificate) or a document equivalent to it and who, based on the results of the Unified National Entry Exams is eligible to study in the undergraduate education program of Journalism and pass the administrative registration in Georgian National University SEU.
Enrollment without passing the Unified National Entry Exams
Enrollment without passing the Unified National Entry Exams in accordance with the rules established by the legislation of Georgia is allowed:
• For foreign citizens and stateless persons who have received full general or equivalent education in a foreign country;
• For citizens of Georgia who have received full general or equivalent education in a foreign country and have studied in a foreign country for the last 2 years of full general education;
• For foreign nationals (except for students participating in a joint higher education program and students participating in an exchange education program) who are studying/have studied and have received credits/qualifications in a higher education institution recognized in accordance with the legislation of that country in a foreign country;
• For citizens of Georgia (except for students participating in the joint higher education program and students participating in the exchange education program), who live/have lived, study/have studied and received credits/qualifications for a period of time defined by the Ministry of Education and Science of Georgia in a recognized higher education institution of the country of the origin;
• The higher education institution is obliged to conduct an interview to determine the language proficiency of the persons provided for in this article and to provide access to the video recording of the said interview to the Ministry.
Bachelor of Journalism
Professor Tinatin Zakarashvili